View Single Post
Old
09-15-2012, 03:57 PM
shully
Night's Watch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
I know that Villanueva might not be happy about the fact that Anthopoulos has said he's not sure about committing to him as a full-time starter given that he's never done that role, but even though I want Charlie V back next year, Anthopoulos does have a point. Even this year, he's projected to hit 132 innings at his current pace. That would be a major league career high for him. And the only time he's ever pitched more innings in a year were 05 (133 innings in teh minors) and 06 (118 innings in the minors and another 50 or so in the majors). He's never had 200 innings and a whole season of starting at one level, let alone the major league level. There's no guarantee he doesn't start faltering when he tops 150 or 160 innings.

Yes, this season as an extended audition looks promising. But I don't like the idea of paying the guy mid-rotation starter money only to find out that he ends up back in the bullpen at some point. Unfortunately for the Jays, some panicky, desperate GM is likely going to back the money truck up to him and he'll be gone (which I can't fault him for)
And then people will say that it's cheapo Rogers fault that we didn't resign him for 110M a year for 3 years