View Single Post
Old
09-15-2012, 09:46 PM
Brody
Brooklyn ✔

vCash: 24591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Take off the homer glasses for just one second.

Franson couldn't crack our lineup for a good portion of last season. He's very weak defensively (absolutely never being used on the PK) yet not good enough offensively to get powerplay time ahead of Phaneuf, Liles and Gardiner. Essentially his skillset is redundant in Toronto.

Karlsson miles ahead in terms of value.

Gonchar for being completely useless still scored 37 poionts last season. He does have some defensive shortcomings but he still is a heck of an offensive dman (much better than Franson).

With Karlsson, Gonchar and even Alffy eating up the powerplay minutes on the point, Franson would be stuck in the same situation as he is currently experiencing in Toronto.

Phillips, Methot, Cowen are all much better defensively and bring a different skillset. Not every player will rack up points and every one of these guys I'd take over Franson on my team in a second.
Bolded is false, averaged 1:31 PP TOI/game, which is the lowest of his career but still decent for a second unit guy. He's not "weak" defensively at all.

I didn't say Karlsson wasn't better, but sure.

Gonchar scored 37pts while being horrible in his own end, and slow af. You know who he played like this season? Marc-Andre Bergeron, only slower.

You realize that most teams use two PP units, right?

Michalek - Spezza - Alfredsonn
Franson - Karlsonn <--- Much more effective than Gonchar and EK because they are both PMD, Franson provides a rocket of a shot from the point, makes him a great partner for Karlsson. So no, he'd most likely be on the first unit.

You'd take Mr Negative Value Marc Methot and Chris Phillips over Cody Franson? Thank god you are not the GM of the Leafs. Marc Methot is not good at all, juts because Ottawa got ripped off terribly doesn't mean he's worth what he got. Phillips is 32, and has been declining every single season, especially in his own zone.