View Single Post
Old
05-05-2006, 03:43 PM
StanAjax

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habscout
I'm pretty sure that the June start date is based on the final submission of revenue figures from all the NHL teams, that will determine the salary cap for next season. A few months ago the numbers that were reported in the media were based on revenue projections. The teams management know that they need those numbers before they can formally start negotiating with their own players. I'll hazard a guess that none of the Montreal media at today's press conference thought to ask more specifics about the June date.

In the mean time, I'm sure that Bob Gainey, Andre Savard & Brisebois [Habs "capologist"] & other Habs braintrust will be hard at work to try and determine who they want to stay and who will go.

Yep, I agree with you. Mey will be all about evaluation and planning of what to do next.

Savard will probably spend time on the draft though, with Timmins and his team, but I'm not sure Geiney gets very involved in this stuff.
-> To answer the person that believed May will be all about draft plans.

Then, when the evaluation has been properly done, Gainey can start negotiating with his FA he wants to come back. And eventually getting ready for draft day dealing if he has assets to deal or if he's targetting a non-UFA player.

Finally, July will be the time to add one or two UFAs (not including some for Hamilton). Don't expect more than last year though...

What I think we need is a Brind'Amour/Nieuwendyk type of guy down the middle. A bit younger though...

I would welcome another puck-moving defenseman, but I wouldn't mind keeping the same 6D core either.

If we can't find the required player down the middle, a guy like Langenbrunner would more than do the trick for me.

Just not too many moves.