Old
09-16-2012, 04:41 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrocketsgotcracked View Post
i don't base my opinion solely on stats, there are things that doesn't show up on the score sheets. we both watch the games and come to different conclusions, so be it.
i just think that it is unrealistic to expect edler to accept a contract under his market value just to fit into the team structure or the bieksa cap. if he does sign for $5M like you say, i'd be more than happy, but i'm not going to hold my breathe on that.
And what does Edler do that doesn't show up on the scoresheet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrocketsgotcracked View Post
why do you think edler is getting the opportunity over bieksa on the #1 PP? its definitely NOT because edler is inferior to bieksa offensively.
Edler has a much better shot than Bieksa, which makes him better suited for the role he's used in on the top PP unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
By stats do you mean more then just ES points?

By the way how old is Edler? What was Bieksa doing/putting up at Edler's age?

IMO (and I'm sure a lot would agree) Edler is the better of the 2 & only has room to improve being so young. I love Bieksa but if I had to chose between the 2 going forward it would be Edler.
What does Edler's age have to do with anything? I agree that he has the potential to develop into something better, and that's why I'm willing to pay him more than Bieksa. But to say we should be happy if he re-signs here for $6M is absolutely absurd!

Edler and Bieksa have had around the same amount of games played at the NHL level, so their developmental time is about the same at this level.

We aren't talking about having Edler or Bieksa. We have Bieksa and now we are trying to determine how much to re-sign Edler for. Giving him $6M is a significant overpayment. He simply isn't worth it. He isn't a better defenseman than Bieksa, either offensively or defensively. He has the potential which gets him a higher salary, but to blow all our other defensemen out of the water with a huge salary would be ridiculous.