View Single Post
09-17-2012, 08:03 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Thrace View Post
Some added thoughts:

Where's Larionov indeed? I you were going to predict which of the Soviets would be most likely to have NHL success based on this series he would be nowhere near the top of the list. I can't find any reference to him playing injured, so I'd guess it's something to do with having to go up against Gilmour and/or Gretzky every shift. His lack of footspeed and size don't help either. It's a shame, because his linemates do pretty well without him but I'd expected more extended periods of KLM dominance in the series.
That was one of the best parts of the recent TSN replay of the series: Larionov was on the panel with Mike Keenan and Larry Murphy, giving their accounts and anecdotes throughout. The reason we didn't see more Larionov (and the rest of the Green Unit), according to Larionov, is that Tikhonov rolled 4 lines throughout the series; regardless of situation, or whatever. He was apparently also trying to keep the pace of the game/series up after Canada went down to 10 forwards (game 2?), which probably made him even more reluctant to diverge from his strategy.

Larionov went on to say that, despite the fact that the level of play in the series surpassed anything he has ever seen, he really wishes that his line had been sent out against the Gretzky line more, and show everyone more of "real" best-on-best hockey.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote