View Single Post
Old
09-17-2012, 05:11 PM
redbull
respect, earned.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
In his last season he was 30 and had his worst per-game total already. Itís likely his decline would have really begun the following season.
post is all correct, except this part.

I read his book, he talks about how much pain he was in throughout that whole season, how he shouldn't even have played that many games that year and felt he wasn't contributing to team wins anymore.

He made similar statements in the quest for 50-in-50, when he was pressing too much.

I do believe his scoring rate would have continued, not tailed off too much, only because of the way he played, the types of goals he scored. Unfortunately, scoring goals "that way", standing in the slot, taking abuse, lots of holding, hooking, cross-checking, takes its toll. For anyone.

But he never relied on speed or strength, it was all instinct and positioning. He knew how to score. Not unlike Selanne just knows how to score goals, even though he can hardly skate anymore, compared to his twenties.

I do think Bossy would have scored a lot of goals, if healthy, but not the Gretzky-level, he simply wasn't that good.

Mario, if healthy, could have caught Gretzky, he had that kind of talent...but Gretzky wasn't really a goal scorer, he was a playmaker who also scored, a lot.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote