View Single Post
Old
09-17-2012, 04:29 PM
LAX attack*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by PayItForward View Post
Sure, but a couple years ago the Kings sucked and were picking in the top 5. Does that not apply to your own team's GM?

Is Feaster better because they are at least in playoff contention, despite the fact that they don't make it and are quite a mediocre team?

Every team re-builds differently. Some teams, like LA, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Edmonton, etc. like to suck and get top 5 picks. Some teams just have terrible management. But next year he could look like a genius if he gets MacKinnon (again, if there's a draft lottery) with a pick he acquired in one of those trades. He acquired Bobrovsky, has Jack Johnson who could be their future captain, has Murray and could get that #1 center next year. They are nearly as big of a disaster as some want to believe. I don't think they'll be good and I'm not a huge Howson fan, but he's not the worst GM in the league IMO. That's my point.
I think you are confusing rebuilding with just being bad enough to consistently get lottery picks. Nor would I call Howson a great GM for "landing" Mackinnon. I am not cynical enough to believe in the lottery draft. My point is that you would have to have very weak criteria to call Howson a genius after all that has happened. Or at least a very short memory. If you look at those Kings' teams, yes there were 3 years where they were a lottery contender, but those teams improved in point totals every year of Lombardi's tenure until this season. My point is that Lombardi clearly had an idea of how it went. Of course I would also like to note, and this is a point that has been referred to many times, he made a strong effort to make the team competitive prior to the 06-07 season by trying to sign Chara and than Drury and Gomez at the end of 06-07.

I guess the most important part of this is that he traded away players like Demitra, Cammalleri, Visnovsky that were guys that were not really going to fit in with his team plan. What players has Columbus gotten rid of because they didn't fit in with the team identity? As far as I can tell, Columbus has been in this "year 1" of their rebuild for the past 5 years.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote