View Single Post
Old
09-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Marklar*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry2perry View Post
There is really no point in comparing the numbers junior players put up in these swedish leagues, you have to look at them play and see who is better. Backstrom and Kopitar collected 0 points when they were Forsberg's age while a player like Anton Lander had 10. Forsberg has been great on the national teams, scoring just as many goals as Collberg. They have both been putting up better numbers than Backstrom to this point on the national teams but comparing players on the scoresheet at that young age is just pointless. Pretty much every swedish prospect these days seem to be labeled with "limited offensive upside", often because they don't produce 100 points in a junior league or have a russian last name.
I'm not doing that, or even talking about their men's league points at all. Collberg shouldn't have been brought up in the first place by that Caps fan. Throw him out of this conversation if you want.

I was mainly referring to Forsberg internationally as that is where I have seen him the most. I don't see a guy with high offensive upside whenever I see him play. That's just me. I personally thought he ended up being drafted where he should have been all along. In fact, even if I'm not referring to points, I don't see elite tools other than puck possession from Forsberg.

Just because he plays well but doesn't fully translate it to the scoresheet isn't the end of the world for his potential NHL career. But it is something to be aware about and something I have noticed for the last 3 years.