View Single Post
Old
09-17-2012, 06:12 PM
Stephen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
My concerns about Allaire's approach/results were simply that those extremely green goalies appeared to play progressively worse rather than better under his guidance. It just seems strange that an acknowledged world-class benchmark positional coach would have so little positive impact on players with the greatest opportunity for significant improvements. I mean, you coach a proven vet, the most you can do is a tiny tweak here or there for incremental but not major gains, but kids have countless areas that can get better, you'd think you'd see some more marked improvement in three years of his coaching.

To my mind, the only ways Allaire doesn't own some of those results (or lack of results) is if a) the porous defence in front of the goalies made it impossible for them to establish the confidence needed to improve, or b) his work was contradicted or interfered with throughout his tenure.

To listen to him, both of those things may have indeed been the case, but it's only one perspective, and I'm not inclined to judge without hearing from others involved.

I will say that it would not surprise me at all to hear that the coaching overall around the Leafs was at least somewhat dysfunctional, based on what we've seen over the past few years. The GM is responsible for providing players with talent - but it's then up to the coaches to get the most out of those players, and I think that's something we haven't seen in Leafland in quite some time.
I think there might be some credence to the idea that there are too many cooks in the kitchen in general. There's no reason why we need to have Burke, Nonis, Poulin, Loiselle, formerly Dudley, Cliff Fletcher in an advisory role, all managing and Hughes and Staios in development.

That said, Allaire was getting nothing done with our goalies ever since the Toskala days. When goaltending is consistently terrible and the one constant seems to be plummeting confidence in the ranks year after year, an outdated technical guru probably isn't the answer. Allaire comes across as very unprofessional and a total diva. Maybe there was some interference in his coaching because he was utterly useless?

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote