View Single Post
Old
09-17-2012, 06:26 PM
PayItForward

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by porknbeans420 View Post
I think you are confusing rebuilding with just being bad enough to consistently get lottery picks. Nor would I call Howson a great GM for "landing" Mackinnon. I am not cynical enough to believe in the lottery draft. My point is that you would have to have very weak criteria to call Howson a genius after all that has happened. Or at least a very short memory. If you look at those Kings' teams, yes there were 3 years where they were a lottery contender, but those teams improved in point totals every year of Lombardi's tenure until this season. My point is that Lombardi clearly had an idea of how it went. Of course I would also like to note, and this is a point that has been referred to many times, he made a strong effort to make the team competitive prior to the 06-07 season by trying to sign Chara and than Drury and Gomez at the end of 06-07.

I guess the most important part of this is that he traded away players like Demitra, Cammalleri, Visnovsky that were guys that were not really going to fit in with his team plan. What players has Columbus gotten rid of because they didn't fit in with the team identity? As far as I can tell, Columbus has been in this "year 1" of their rebuild for the past 5 years.
Well how did the Kings get Doughty? Chicago, Toews? Washington, Ovechkin? Washington, Backstrom? Pittsburgh, Malkin? Pittsburgh, Crosby?

Sometimes the lottery is actually re-building the correct way. Maybe Howson has a clear view of what he wants? Maybe Tambellini, up there with his 3 consecutive 1st overalls, has an idea of what he wants? You act like Lombardi didn't make mistakes when he was re-building. He picked HICKEY FOURTH OVERALL. It was a terrible choice at the time and he's a bust. Point is, every GM make mistakes. In a few years, Toronto could be a true contender. They could get a top 5 pick next year, get one of the many top end centers that are up there and have a very solid team going forward. I personally thought the Maple Leafs should have re-built that way instead of how they did instead. But even them, maybe next year they'll get that #1 center to replace Sundin and they'll be well on their way to being a very good team. Who at that point is going to use the Kessel trade against them, if they landed MacKinnon or Monahan or Barkov? I'm saying that you need to wait a few years to judge GMs in certain places. If the Blue Jackets are still where they are now, then go ahead and criticize.

PayItForward is offline   Reply With Quote