Thread: Raptors Discussion: v21: Kyle Lowry for Prime Minister
View Single Post
Old
09-17-2012, 09:24 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

vCash: 500
It's been a bit since I've updated, but ESPN continues to roll out their NBA player rankings online. They've just stopped short of entering the top 50 today, but it does finish off the Raptors roster (which I know is going to make people snark "lol, Raptors suck, no one in the top 50") but it's not that bad. Here is the complete roster and where it ranked:

469: Alan Anderson
449: Quincy Acy
376: Dominic McGuire
308: Terrence Ross
287: Aaron Gray
278: John Lucas III
234: Jonas Valanciunas
233: Ed Davis
217: Linas Kleiza
207: Amir Johnson
164: Landry Fields
112: DeMar DeRozan
96: Jose Calderon
58: Andrea Bargnani
51: Kyle Lowry

Consider that if the rankings were roughly evenly distributed positionally, the top 150 represents starter quality players in the league (5x30). Between 150 and 200 is a top-of-the-bench option, 200-300 would about fill out a second unit, and anything over 360 represents enough quality to get a regular spot on the bench (and not as a healthy scratch)

So in that regard, the Raptors would seem to stack out reasonably well. 3 players in the top 100. The lowest starting lineup member outside of Jonas or Grey at C is Fields at 164 (which i still good 6th man territory) and most of our probable 2nd unit pieces (Jonas/Grey, Amir, Davis, Kleiza, Ross) are in the higher end of that 2nd unit rank. Ross & Acy obviously get a bit of the shaft by being rookies who aren't Anthony Davis.

We'll see some better #s when this thing finishes up. ESPN usually does team-by-team breakdowns of the rankings and such at that point.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 35 GP, 13-17-5 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.