View Single Post
Old
05-05-2006, 11:22 PM
Slick Nick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
No. Souray has a very flawed defensive game. He's not all that great with the outlet pass, struggles with crafty players who have outside speed, and has real issues with handling speed in general. He's over-enthusiastic about making impressive plays defensively; whether it be an open-ice hit on an opponent in full-flight, or stripping the puck from the opponent and turning it up ice in a hurry (ie. his play on Brind'Amour on the Game Three tying goal).

Since he's flawed defensively he needs to revert back to his simple defensive game. In that style, he can still be beaten by shifty, fast forwards, but not as often and not as easily.

I think Souray's still developing. Critics and fans often put a cap on player development; that it can't happen past X-age. Well, I think Souray's got some good fundamental skills, strong work ethic and excellent character. If he can simplify his defensive game while maintaining his booming shot, I think he would be an ideal #3 defenseman.

As it stands, Souray's a good top four ... but a flawed and inconsistent one.

I'd also like to see him pick his game up in the playoffs. That's two playoffs straight where he's been subpar in his own end. To me, Komisarek, Rivet, Bouillon and Dandenault were all consistently better than Souray.
This post says it all, glad to agree with Mike8 for once!