Thread: Proposal: Chi - Ana
View Single Post
Old
09-18-2012, 06:48 AM
bernmeister

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8oooo View Post
If your statement holds true and the Ducks 'not only desire, but need require' that Getz and Perry both resign for the same as their current rate or less than, then how on earth does trading away one of those players for a player whose current cap hit is $1.3m more than, make any sense? That logic is completely flawed. Aside from that, there has never been any indication from the Ducks that they can't or will not give raises to Getz and/or Perry. Just because they're not a team who spends to the cap doesn't mean they don't have money or are willing to pay their stars. The Ducks owner is one of the richest in hockey and hasn't, as of yet, ever been at the bottom of the salary charts as far as team salaries are concerned.

edit: and to add, IMO, I feel that if the Ducks lose either of the guys it's going to be more about the players' desire to jump ship rather than a money issue. I may be wrong, but I fully expect the Ducks to be very competitive in the contract offer (Except if it comes down to a career/retirement type contract, which I don't expect the Ducks to offer up).
The Ducks find a way, take from elsewhere, re-sign Getzlaf assuming he wants to stay. Perry, the same, unless they feel the value of the offer, including possible cap it, makes it more attractive to move Perry.

Now that's out of the way, the point was Richards is most of Getzlaf at a number you can live with. Logic says Getzlaf wants the most he can command, and assuming no preferential discount, he will seek more, not less, $$. So the new Getzlaf contract is likely to cost Anaheim more; it may be indeed more than the cap hit for Richards.

I apologize if I did not articulate that more clearly.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote