View Single Post
Old
09-18-2012, 06:10 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
Irving is ridiculously overrated by our fan base. Every year we come up with a new excuse for why he failed to produce again. Most players and people have kids. Iginla has three of them, but it's never been an excuse as to why he hasn't played well. Bottom line, it's 7 years after the draft this year. Irving is awfully close to being a total bust and is still highly regarded by Flame fans for no reason whatsoever. He's had one slightly above average year in the minors and the rest of his work has been extremely suspect.
To you they are excuses.
To me it is statistical evidence that his game went down the gutter when for the first time in his career he was pushed into limited starts due to being called up. I also never said that the birth of his child was the reason for his poor numbers, it was however just another reason as to why he was not spending time on the ice with his teammates. He actually ended up missing a few games and practices in the playoffs (IIRC).

What I see is that he had ONE poor month last year.
Call me an optimist if you want, but I put far more stock into his performances at the NHL level, and in the first half of the AHL season.

Very few goalies break into the NHL before the age of 24. The player I like to compare Irving to is Jimmy Howard. Just take a look at his AHL numbers and you would come away extremely unimpressed.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote