Old
09-18-2012, 06:33 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckLuck View Post
I think defensively all 3 are very close. Offensively is where Edler seperates himself though. His vision, passing and shot are much better than the rest. There is a reason he plays on our PP unit. Sorry but I don't need advanced statistical analysis to see which defensemen is better...that's ridiculous....i'll just stick to watching.

And it's weird you use consistency as the backbone of your argument when Bieksa has probably been our most inconsistent defensemen over the last few years. If Edler had not been injured last year he would have put up back-back-back 40 pt seasons. How much more consistency do you need? Bieksa, on the other hand, has had MORE injury issues and hasn't produced as many points as Edler in that time. Weird argument.
Edler has certain offensive attributes such as his shot that make him a better fit for the role he works in on the PP, but if we are talking about who's better offensively give me the guy who's dominated even strength points while playing against tougher competition.

Why is it ridiculous to refer to advanced stats? Your opinion can be swayed by your own personal feelings, whereas the stats cut through all that and report actual production. That's not refutable. The stats are what they are and they tell a story that Bieksa is the better defenseman, so it would be absurd to hand out a contract to Edler in the $6M neighborhood. It would make Edler overpaid.