Old
09-18-2012, 07:39 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
Regarding this Edler/Bieksa discussion I must first say that I've always been a big fan of Bieksa, even when I was face palming over his defensive struggles I always knew he would come around.

I like Edler too, and if someone told me I could have only one of them I would be hard-pressed to make a decision. They both bring different things to the table that the other doesn't necessarily possess. Also, Bieksa is almost always a playoffs beast whereas Edler has struggled at times. Other times he's been great but when he is great in the playoffs he seems to have a great game then a not-so-great game and then rinse and repeat.

However, if I had to take only one at this stage of their respective careers it would probably be Edler. He can still improve whereas I think with Bieksa what you see is what you're gonna get.
I agree with your assessment. However I think the debate is really all about how much more than Bieksa does Edler deserve? How much is potential worth? What you see is what you get with Bieksa, and right now what you see is better than Edler, but will Edler reach his potential and be better than Bieksa?

A $30M/6 year with NTC deal sounds fair to me.