View Single Post
Old
09-18-2012, 08:34 PM
kaiser matias

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
i often wonder, given the political atmosphere in alberta, what the locals are think about this whole deal. On the one hand, edmonton is one of the true hockey-mad markets in the league. On the other, it's full of fiscal conservatives who in theory should be aligned against government spending on this project.
I lived in Edmonton on and off for the past couple years, so I may be able to give some insight while not having it be a major part of my life. The people I talked to, the hockey fans and ones who care enough to pay attention at least, saythey don't really understand why Katz needs all this money from the city, considering his financial status. Furthermore, someone even said to me that if he is so reluctant to pay for any of the arena costs, why not sell part of the team off to one of the other rich folks in town and have them committ to funding part of the costs.

Myself, I'd agree with the above sentiment. While the city does need a new arena badly, and will help clean up one of the worst parts of the city, Katz is ultimatley the one who will benefit the most from this. There is no reason he can't afford to up his percent in the costs, especially since its highly doubtful he could move the Oilers and continue to have 15,000 people paying $70+ per ticket for every game.

kaiser matias is offline   Reply With Quote