Thread: Speculation: Brian Burke vs. Marc Bergevin
View Single Post
Old
09-18-2012, 10:13 PM
showtime8

vCash: 500
Bergevin can't really be credited with much regarding what he has done. The preparation for the draft starts basically 2 years prior to when the draft actually takes place, so saying that Burke did it (when he took Kadri) or Bergevin (this past draft with Galch. Thrower) isn't really justified.

I think that there were far less holes for Bergevin to fill, but has done an admirable job at putting those in place. I also wonder about giving Pacioretty that much money after one good year. Hopefully for the Leafs sake, its a one year wonder, but you just never know sometimes about handing guys the big money (see results of Scott Gomez, Bobby Holik, etc.)

However, I do think that the Habs had the best draft overall. Still being able to get Brady Vail in the 4th round is astounding. Very surprised on how some guys dropped.

You also have to keep in mind that Burke was able to shed the contracts of Blake, Stajan, Mayers and Hagman. Despite what you make think of Phaneuf, that was an actually an upgrade.