Old
09-18-2012, 10:16 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

vCash: 500
8. Forward Michael Chaput
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 192 lbs
How Acquired: Trade with Philadelphia (along with Greg Moore; in exchange for F Tom Sestito), February 28th, 2011

Analysis: After targeting Chaput during the 2011 draft, yet missing out on him, the Jackets took the opportunity to add him to their prospect stable, as the Flyers looked to add some size in Tom Sestito. Since the trade, Chaput has made GM Scott Howson and co. look like geniuses,as he would go on to post 21 goals and 63 points in 57 regular season games for Shawinigan (QMJHL) this year; before adding 4 goals and 12 points in 11 playoff games. Chaput saved his best hockey for the premier tournament in the CHL, posting a stellar 5 goals and 12 points in just 6 Memorial Cup tournament games, leading the Cataractes to their first ever Memorial Cup victory. Chaput led the tournament in scoring, and earned the Stafford Smythe trophy as tournament MVP.

Pros: Size, compete, all-around play
Cons: Not a particularly high level scorer, has seen some injury woes

Realistic Expectations: Don't get your hopes up too high for Chaput. As someone who hasn't missed a Memorial Cup game in over 5 years, I can attest that he was, without a doubt, the best forward throughout the entire tournament. He was all over the ice, playing a physical, pesky game that saw him generate numerous turnovers and quality scoring chances. He went to the dirty areas to compete, and played with a swagger that you don't often see in 19 year olds. That being said, I think his potential is that of a third line forward (maybe a depth second liner). He doesn't have the obvious skill that you see in some of the other kids his age, however I think a guy like this could be highly effective on a line with someone like Boone Jenner or Matt Calvert. There is a lot to like with this kid, he's another quality youngster that plays the game on effort and overachieving - something this franchise needs to continue to gravitate towards.

Stylistic Comparison: Nick Foligno

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote