View Single Post
Old
09-19-2012, 01:45 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
You don't? If he gets seriously injured that would effect the type of contract he's offered. Benn hasn't made all that much money yet either. Some of these other comparable RFAs made as much in 2 years as Benn made in 3. He's also at elevated risk for recurrent concussions.
From his perspective I get it, but the way you worded it was odd to me. "He owes it to himself and the team." I guess my point is that to not play because of fear of injury/concussion in this situation really boils down to what kind of person you are and what your outlook on life is.

To play devil's advocate, what if he sits out an entire year of hockey and is a step or two slow when he returns? In that situation he's more likely to get injured in an NHL speed game than he would be in say an SEL game. The other argument is one you made; he hasn't made all that much money. Can he really afford to not get paid this season? I mean, he's likely not poor but he's not exactly rolling in the ELC dough. He could make a good salary in some of the European leagues while he waits on the NHL and the Stars to come around.