Thread: Speculation: Brian Burke vs. Marc Bergevin
View Single Post
Old
09-19-2012, 10:49 AM
HABitual Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PasDaSquini View Post
Bergevin came to Montreal with a number 1 goalie and potentially 2 top dmen in Markov(if he stays healthy) and Subban(who is on the cusp), Burke came to Toronto with well Schenn.

The teams both GMs started out with are far too different to even compare. I think Bergevin has made some pretty good moves in an effort to get his team to at least be tough to play against. If we have a season I can still see MTL in the bottom of the conference with the Leafs.
As A Hab fan I agree with your post. The only comparison one can make is how each GM viewed their team and team needs when they took over, and what route they chose in correcting them. I will leave it up to Leaf fans to decide what Burke's route was.
So far Bergevin has gone with basically status quo on the NHL roster. He signed players that either met a need or are insurance policies against the need to call-up prospects from the AHL before they are ready. He decided Timmins draft record was great and retained him, while adding a lot of new blood into the organization to look after the development of these picks.
He is going to ice the youngest team in the AHL this season, so the current crop of prospects for the most part are really not NHL ready, and need a lot of work. The only two things so far that can be questioned are the hiring of Therrien as coach, and his not signing veteran AHL talent to shield the rookies playing pro hockey for the first time in Hamilton.
He did not attempt to make his mark by turning over the roster, so only time will tell if the team is better then they showed last year in a nightmare of a season both in management/coaching and injuries. In my opinion he did everything so far calmly and did not give up any assets in a panic move or exchange of bad contracts. He is giving himself time to evaluate the team and prospects first, and then will start making moves to improve the team down the road.