View Single Post
Old
09-19-2012, 12:30 PM
Lundface

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Edler has certain offensive attributes such as his shot that make him a better fit for the role he works in on the PP, but if we are talking about who's better offensively give me the guy who's dominated even strength points while playing against tougher competition.

Why is it ridiculous to refer to advanced stats? Your opinion can be swayed by your own personal feelings, whereas the stats cut through all that and report actual production. That's not refutable. The stats are what they are and they tell a story that Bieksa is the better defenseman, so it would be absurd to hand out a contract to Edler in the $6M neighborhood. It would make Edler overpaid.
I don't know much about advanced stats or Corsi numbers, but I have a question for you. Is tougher competition regarded as more offensive players or more defensive players? If playing against better offensive players gives you a better corsi, then it isn't that impressive that he puts up more points against them. Stats can only tell you so much, and though Bieksa has improved, Hamhuis is clearly the reason we can shutdown top guys.

There is no way Bieksa is better than Edler offensively. Very seldomly, if ever, have I seen Bieksa make a pass leading directly to a goal. I don't mean simply a primary assist but instead a pass that makes it really easy for the receiving player to score. Think of all the times Edler has done this with slap passes or cross ice passes for empty net goals.

Lundface is offline   Reply With Quote