View Single Post
Old
09-19-2012, 06:06 PM
danaluvsthekings

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
The Oilers have until 2014 when the lease on Rexall expires. At that point, they will likely enter a year-by-year lease with Northlands. If significant progress (As in, breaking ground) hasn't occurred by then the Oilers will be faced with the reality that they are just not sustainable in the current NHL market at Rexall. If the deal falls through, Katz cannot guarantee the Oilers in Edmonton long term.

The proposed idea needs to be approved before staged construction can begin. Once the financials are in order, then the arena can be built. The surrounding district will be built as it is developed from private investments.
Obviously, I understand why he wants everything approved now, but again, why does it have to be? Staples Center was approved and built and then they went back to get LA Live approved years later. Now they've been going back and trying to get approval for a football stadium. Unless I'm missing something Katz has the money to get the arena built using no public dollars. I'm guessing Oilers fans and people in Edmonton in general are a bit sick of years of hearing we need a new arena. Building the arena first with private dollars would probably go a long way in getting public support for the rest of what Katz wants to do.

Seeing as it's already almost October of 2012, I'd say there's no chance of a building ready by 2014. It took them 18 months to complete Staples Center with crews working 3 shifts a day, which would significantly drive up construction costs for any arena. Not picking on the city or anything, especially since I haven't lived in a cold climate, but how much outdoor construction can be done in Edmonton in winter at a reasonable cost? Don't you need a special concrete blend and to insulate it once it's poured and things like that? I'd imagine those things would drive up construction costs as well.

danaluvsthekings is online now   Reply With Quote