View Single Post
Old
09-19-2012, 10:11 PM
RangerFan14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
What potential really?

Pederson was ranked somewhere in the second round of the OHL draft. Spott was very high on him but the Rangers didn't have a second round pick to use on him. Spott was so high on him in fact, that he used our 1st rounder to get him because he felt he wouldn't be around to select in the 3rd round.

So any real potential should be that of a second round pick. The problem is that since he was our first round pick, and since Spott raved about how good this guy is/will be, that there has been much more expectation out of him by the fans. It's not his fault that he has to live up to being a 1st round pick, but it has become his burden.

That burden started last year in the playoffs. Due to injury, and lack of high end players on what was a high end team at the deadline, he was asked to play higher up in the forward group than he really should have been. He honestly couldn't lace the skates of Crescenzi and Randell on that line (the same can be said about Ming and Lorentz on Faksa'a line). He had the odd decent game but at the end of the day, it wasn't fair to ask him to suceed on that line. The one positive out of that is the experience he gained moving forward. The problem is, that experience didn't advance his game enough to have him ranked (by most posters) ahead of two forwards taken below him in the same draft (Sterk & Bailey).

Since that draft I have been looking at a few guys that were drafted after him and how there are doing. One in particular - Sarnia's Anthony DeAngelo. The Record even had an article and interview with DeAngelo leading up to the draft about how the Rangers were interested in him and how much he'd like to come here. He is an exceptional talent. An offensive d-man in the mold of Ryan Murphy. Will he become as good? Who knows? All I know is that he impressed the heck out of me last year when he played us. I wondered why we didn't take him in the 1st round.

I compare Pederson to being the next version of Ben Thomson (a player we selected in the 7th round) minus the edge but with just a bit more upside. IMO, Pederson isn't an OHL first round talent. But he is a very good talent nonetheless and should bring good return if he's included in any deal.
All I have to say to this long and pointless message is that you will look like a fool when he doesn't even produce as much as a 2nd rounder should! And it doesn't matter if baliey and sterk were taking after him in the ohl draft look who is better now, he's a bust accept it.