vCash: 500
Sept. 19: Weekend Preview

MID-WEEK UPDATE

Sept. 19: Exhibition Game

MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS 6
CALGARY DINOS 5

Links:
|> [LS Summary]

After the Dinos won Round 1 of the Bedrock Derby, Mount Royal has evened the score. They racked up 6 goals on only 21 shots on Jacob DeSerres in the Dino net. The Dinos had a 5-3 lead in the 2nd period when it appeared they had control. They had outshot Her Majesty's Kittens 13-2 in that period. Calgary falls to 2-3 in pre-season, whilst MRU is 2-1 (they both also beat Lethbridge). This was also Game 1 of the "Brick Invitational Tournament", which is previewed below.

WEEKEND PREVIEW

REGINA COUGARS (1-2-0)
MANITOBA BISONS (1-1-0)

Friday, September 21st, 7:00 p.m. CDT @ Max Bell Arena, U of M
Saturday, September 22nd, 2:30 p.m. CDT @ Max Bell Arena, U of M

Live Links:
|> [Live Stats Friday] : [Live Stats Saturday]
|> [no audio or video]

Manitoba Links:
|> [Team Site] : [Roster] : [Schedule/Results]
|> [LS Roster] : [LS Stats] : [LS Schedule/Results]
|> [Twitter] : [Facebook]

Regina Links:
|> [Team Site] : [Roster] : [Schedule/Results]
|> [LS Roster] : [LS Stats] : [LS Schedule/Results]
|> [Twitter] : [Facebook]

Other Links:
|> [CIS Site]
|> [CW Site] : [CW Schedule/Results/Links]
|> [LeagueStat Daily]
|> [Every Link Re: CIS Hockey]

Prior Games:
|> [Sept 15 Bisons win 5-0]

The Bisons make their home debut with a pair of games against the Kittens, fresh of their tractors from a long ride from their mud huts back in Hillbillyland.

If you check the Bison roster page you will see that there are 27 names assigned, the 26 who played last weekend and one (Del Cowan) who did not.

I'll be interested is seeing all the new players, and to see how the goaltending will be handled. With so many new forwards, the big challenge for the Bisons will be finding line combinations that work. The talent is there on paper, but now we need to see it on the ice.

As for the Banjo-Cats, they whipped Briercrest 13-0 but followed with quite typical losses by 5-1 and 5-0 to Sask and Manitoba. So are they any better than last year? We'll be finding out soon, I suppose.

ELSEWHERE:

ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS (6-0-0)
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES (2-0-0)
CALGARY DINOS (2-3-0)
MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS (2-1-0)

Links:
|> [Friday Live Stats Sask v Alberta]
|> [Saturday Live Stats Mount Royal v Alberta]
|> [Alberta Site] : [Alberta Twitter]

These four teams are participating in Saudi Alberta's annual "Brick Invitational Tournament". Mount Royal and Calgary started early (as mentioned), so Mount Royal has 2 points and leads the standings, for now. On Friday, the Evil Monkeys will host the Banjo-Mutts. The Primates have walked all over their ACAC opponents thus far, whilst having tight games with Calgary. So Friday night's game is a bit of a special pre-season encounter. Saturday afternoon's Calgary v Saskatchewan game has no Live Updates link as yet. The Saturday night game between Alberta and Mount Royal could decide the tournament.

SIMON FRASER CLAN (1-1-0)
UBC THUNDERBIRDS (0-0-0)

Links:
|> [Live Stats Friday]
|> [UBC Site] : [UBC Twitter]
|> [SFU Site] : [SFU Twitter]

These teams split a pair of games last Christmas and this year they are playing in the pre-season. UBC hosts Friday's game and there is a League Stat Live Update link for that one. Otherwise, you might want to check the Twitters.

This will be UBC's first action of the season. SFU lost to the Coquitlam Express of the BCHL (Junior "A") 5-2 on August 31st, before they actually started classes or training. Then they beat Trinity Western 3-2 on Sept. 13th. Very odd spacing of pre-season games.

In theory, this should be an easy series for UBC. But SFU treat this like the Stanley Cup. That said, I doubt that UBC want another loss to them on their resume.

LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS (0-2-0)
NAIT OOKS (1-0-0)
SAIT TROJANS (0-2-0)

Links:
|> [Lethbridge Site] : [Lethbridge Twitter]
|> [ACAC Schedule/Results Page]
|> [NAIT Site] : [NAIT Twitter]
|> [SAIT Site] : [SAIT Twitter]

Lethbridge added a Friday home game against NAIT after the CIS composite schedule had been released. So they face both AITs this weekend. There is no League Stats Live Updates link for either game, so Twitter it may be. I have not seen these teams be too diligent with Twitter thus far in pre-season. I also linked to the ACAC schedule/results page, which may be capable of providing updates.

OUT EAST

Monday, Sept. 17
Moncton 6 New Brunswick 2

This was the opener for all AUS teams. Quite a surprising result. I have no links which give more than the score.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote