Old
09-20-2012, 12:17 PM
voyageur
Registered lunatic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
The team IS in a rebuild.

Management isn't blasting out all it's veterans in one big clearing of the decks however fans will not recognize this team in a few years. It's happening and will continue to happen.
I was a little disappointed that neither of Gauthier's trade failures, Kaberle and Bourque weren't moved out, but it looks like Kaberle has some chance of sticking. Bourque? Gomez? These are guys that aren't part of the future. I like that the nucleus of Desharnais, Pacioretty, Subban and White who graduated together within the Habs are looking like long term Canadiens, whereas the core of Price, O'Byrne, Kostitstyn, Grabvoski, Lapierre, D'Agostini, and Chipchura got completely dismantled, save the franchise goalie, in part due to the drastic change in playing style Martin brought to the team, in part due to the lack of maturity among the players. I think Tinordi, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Bournival, Leblanc, Beaulieu, Ellis, Collberg and Hudon will integrate into the team in the next few years. This year's team is a transition team. If the players on it fail to produce, it is conceivable the rebuild will begin sooner. I am of the opinion that minor-league experience in general contributes to the overall development of a team, especially in a market like Montreal, where there is nowhere to hide. Once the contracts of Markov, Kaberle, Gomez, Gionta and Bourque are off the books (2 years tops), and the youngsters are given time to mature, the rebuilt Habs will emerge, and the Gainey/Gauthier stamp will be less evident.

Last edited by voyageur: 09-20-2012 at 12:23 PM.
voyageur is offline   Reply With Quote