View Single Post
Old
09-22-2012, 03:19 AM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 500
hmmmm

I liked Jerome at first. Being a friend of Gretzky and Messier, he had a lot of great connections for interviews.

Plus I enjoy juvenile frat humor. I'd much rather hear a story about banging puck bunnies than a 4 point game, but that's just me.

I think that is where Jerome actually excelled. He got to know the players (in Edmonton) as guys. Not as stars.

Can you imagine what it must be like for Wayne Gretzky to go out and eat dinner in a restaurant with his family? There will always be some a*hole that will approach the table, ask for an autograph, or tell Wayne how he was peeling potatos when he scored 50 in 39...it really must get tedious.

Jerome never talked to them about hockey. That's probably why they actually befriended the guy.

Sure you may argue that a radio guy should be asking hockey questions, but I think that some may be missing the value that Jerome actually brought to the broadcasts, at least in the early days.

To get Marc Messier, or Wayne Gretzky to reveal REAL information about themselves on the air is an art. Jerome had them in a comfort zone where they would actually talk. Not the typical soundbite garbage.

Dandyman...worst of the worst. I absolutely hated him as an on air personality. I still think he got screwed though.