Old
09-22-2012, 11:09 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...to-report.html

Devellano is quite the idiot. Because we all know the NHL needs a collusion lawsuit in addition to a lockout.
I don't see the grounds for collusion like many are saying. When he talks about an "unwritten rule", I'm looking at it as the "sign a guy to a massively front-loaded offer sheet", not "tender an offer sheet at all".

There was a huge firestorm back in the 1990s because large-market teams were using the front-loading as a weapon against small-market teams. NY Rangers targeted Joe Sakic ($21 million over three years, with $17 million up front), Toronto with Mattias Ohlund (matched), Chicago with Keith Tkachuk (matched), and Philly with Chris Gratton (not matched; Tampa traded compensatory picks back to Philly for Renberg and Dykhuis).

That's why so many were quietly pleased with Carolina doing it to Sergei Fedorov, where there was a $26 million bonus due only if the team made the conference finals. Carolina wasn't going to do it, but obviously Detroit was. It's the first and last example of a true "poison pill" provision I can remember, but the joy of seeing a small-market team really stick it to a large-market one was fun.

I do remember Craig Simpson signing an offer sheet that was both front-loaded and ruled by the league to be a complete sham, and thus was invalidated.