Thread: Proposal: Vancouver - Columbus
View Single Post
Old
09-22-2012, 06:01 PM
Hi-wayman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
Then why not trading Edler or Hamhuis instead to allow Ballard to step up in a role of a top 4 defenseman and shine in Vancouver?
Personally I would have no objection about trading Edler and allowing Ballard to slide down into the 4th D spot provided the compensation we got for Edler improved the team overall. Though I think Edler is a strronger defenseman with higher upside, I personally feel Ballard capable of filling a solid 4th D (left side) position on the Canucks. I do agree with the other poster though that it would be harmful to the team to trade Hamhuis and re[lace his position with Ballard. Ballard is an agresive offensive minded 4th NHL level D very similar to Bieksa. Hamhuis is a defensive level #2D and plays a completely different role. As far as I'm concerned the Canucks do not have a legitimate #1 NHL level defenseman (a defenseman who's individual play can sometimes control the outcome of a game), but the Canucks do have six defensemen who can play at an NHL #4 D level or better.

As far as I'm also concerned, the one player on the CBJ's I would love to see the Canucks acquire as he would fill a weakness (not a hole, just a weakness) in the Canucks right side defensive depth is Cody Goloubef. He is not the most skilled or talented defenseman with the CBJ's (more mid level who may get pushed aside due to the team having too many other talented defensemen) but even as a #6 or #7 on the Canucks, he could bring the team balance.

If Columbus is actually looking for forwards, Anton Rodin might be a good trade for Goloubef. An agressive winger who plays either wing and who has speed normally should easily make the Canucks bottom six as an NHL ready prospect except the Canucks are loaded on either wing. Chances are that unless a roster spot opens up due to injury, Rodin will never get the chance to prove he can play in the NHL. The same thing could happen to Goloubef with Columbus.

Hi-wayman is offline   Reply With Quote