Thread: Proposal: Vancouver - Columbus
View Single Post
Old
09-22-2012, 08:59 PM
Hi-wayman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrral View Post
Have no interest in a soon to be 34 year old Luongo with nine years left on his contract. I would not trade one asset for him. Not Savard, not a draft pick and especially not any of our young prospects (I'm not saying he's worthless either just that I wouldn't if I was managing the CBJ).

I like Schnieder but we are in a rebuild and I wouldn't give up any prospect with the potential of Ryan Johansen or Ryan Murray for him, no way no how. And we don't need Ballard. As Viqsi stated, you're better off keeping Schnieder and sending Luongo to FLA. We'll keep our prospects, roll the dice with Bob and look to add some offensive talent with three firsts in next years deep draft.
I think you will find that Gillis would prefer to keep both Luongo and Cory rather than trade either. I tend to agree with that concept as the two get along together well and there is no stronger goalie pairong in the NHL when they are together.

I will point out that for NHL goalies, Luongo is just entered his prime and Schneider would be considered young. Many don't like Luongo's long contract, but to the Canucks if they keep Luongo it is blessing. The Canucks consider Luongo a franchise goalie and built the team around him and the Sedins. Canuck management beleive Luongo will be a strong goalie right up to his late 30's and into his 40's. If that is true, then the long contract benefits the Canucks as his cap hit is fixed at what already has become low for a top 10 goalie and the team does not have to worry some other team might out bid the Canucks for Luongo's UFA status. The only time Luongo's contract should be considered bad is if you feel he isn't a good goalie or if he is rapidly going down hill physically. If you actually saw how hard he trains and works out, the latter would not enter your mind.

As for the CBJ rebuilding your team primarily through the draft, it can work sometimes but can also easily end in disaster. Other posters have pointed out how some players and goal tenders, if brought on too quickly, peak early and then degrade. Much of how young prospects develop on a team is often less about the skill they bring, but instead how they are mentored by the team's older players. Players who when they first entered the NHL were similar stars for their era as those entering today. To be a good team, Columbus needs more older players then younger. In a perfect world, the suggested influx was 1 rookie per year.

Another concern teams GM's have is having too many contracts end in the same year. Having multiple draft picks means those players become RFA's and UFA's at the same time. Not only does this become a budget nightmare for the GM, it leaves the team vulnerable to lose some of those picks, now fully developed, to other teams.

Again, I'm not saying it is bad to have lots of draft picks, but don't be surprised if your GM trades one or two of your extra picks for similar picks in later years to spread things out a bit or for experienced players the team needs.

Hi-wayman is offline   Reply With Quote