vCash: 500
Sept. 22: Bisons 6, Cougars 2

SECOND VERSE SAME AS THE FIRST

REGINA COUGARS 2
MANITOBA BISONS 6

Links:
|> [LS Summary] : [CW Schedule/Results/Links]
|> [Manitoba Site : Roster] : [Regina Site]

I am not a big fan of matinee hockey, especially when it creates a conflict with a football game, but in the end this trip to the Max Bell was worth it. Not that this produced some classic hockey, but it was a nice opportunity to see what the new recruits look like.

Before I get too far into this, here's how the teams lined up:

MANITOBA BISONS

Goal:
1 Joe Caligiuri (35 Jesse Deckert)

Defence:
22 Darren Bestland - 2 Dane Crowley
5 Lee Christensen - 4 Jeremy Schappert
10 Eric Mestery - 3 Blair Osiowy

Forwards:
23 Tyler Dittmer - 19 Ian Duval - 26 Blair Macaulay
16 Jesse Paradis – 25 Paul Ciarelli - 9 Matthew Lowry
12 Brett Chartier - 11 James Henry - 27 Tyler Feakes
18 Dylan Kelly - 15 Craig Scott - 14 Austin Lauder

Scratches:
F: 10 Brendan Rowinski - 14 Nathan Green - 21 Del Cowan - 29 Luke Cain
D: 6 Brock Sutherland - 20 Brandon Lockerby - 24 Travis Bobbee
G: 34 Deven Dubyk

REGINA COUGARS

Goal:
35 Lucas Gore - 30 Andrew Hayes

Defence:
13 Brock Appleyard - 7 Mark Schneider
5 Jordan Reeve - 6 Matt Sawa
8 James Friedel - 2 Brandyn Wasyliw
2nd and 3rd period: 14 Craig Cuthbert

Forwards:
14 Craig Cuthbert (1st period) - 10 Tyler Henry - 22 Troy Hunter
9 Tyler Penny (replaced Cuthbert 2nd and 3rd period)
24 Ward Szucki - 20 Ryan Sawka - 11 Tanner Lange
16 Brayden Nargan - 15 Tyler Murray - 19 Sanfred King
12 Liam Brennan - 21 Skylar Hladun - 17 Carter Selinger

Scratches:
F: 25 Shay Wirll - 29 Matt Strueby
D: 4 John Sonntag - 18 Russ Neilson
G: 1 Mitch Kilgore

In the Bison goal, Caligiuri went the distance, after Dubyk and Deckert split Friday's game. This would indicate that Caligiuri has retained his starting position.

On defence, Sutherland, Lockerby and Bobbee were scratches after having played on Friday (when 7 d-men were dressed). Christensen and Osiowy were scratched on Friday, but dressed on Saturday. Mestery rarely played on Friday but saw a regular shift, and then some, on Saturday.

Now, it is hard to gauge the quality of the newcomers in games where they weren't under much pressure. But IMO the Bisons are blessed with 9 guys in camp who can play D in this league. The Mestery-Osiowy combination played very well on Saturday. I would love to see another 40 lbs. on Mestery. He seems to have a lot of upward potential.

I also have to note the play of Bestland. Due to last year's glut of defencemen, he had to play up front all year and did well as a 4th liner, generally on a line of converted blueliners. But when paired with Crowley on Saturday he was impressive. He had the best hit of the night, broke up several rushes, and made strong clearing passes all game.

Up front, the only change from Friday to Saturday was that Duval was in and Cain was out. Duval resumed his role on the 1st line, and Henry took Cain's spot on the 3rd line.

IMO, Duval improved the 1st line. They usually made the Kittens look like they were on catnip. However, they also made a bone-head play which resulted in Regina's first goal.

The 2nd line is a dangerous unit. They scored 3 goals on Friday night and it seemed to me that they had less ice-time Saturday. Their only goal was Ciarelli's, and that was in the midst of a line change.

The 3rd line was much more dangerous with Henry centering the unit on Saturday. Chartier notched two goals. He is a small player with loads of puck-handling talent. IMO, this is the type of player in short supply in the CW. Usually the Junior "A" grads have to earn their stripes. I hope he gets some good ice time to see what he can do on a semi-regular basis (at least) once the season begins. Feakes and/or Cain can help on this line by adding size.

The 4th line was unchanged in the two games, and produced one goal in each game. Kelly scored Friday, and Lauder on Saturday. This whole line is Junior "A" grads. They could stand to be a bit more physical. They gave as good as they got. But with two veterans and two university transfers not dressed, my guess is that this unit will form a taxi squad of capable replacement players.

OUT OF TOWN SCOREBOARD:

LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS 5
SAIT TROJANS 3

Links:
|> [SAIT Mini-Summary] : [Lethbridge Site]

The H0rny Ones notched a much-needed sweep to boost their confidence, and they got it. Here's all the information I have on the game:
Quote:
Details

U of L -- Chase Schaber, Brent Henke, Daniel Iwanski, Mark Hall, David McMullin. SAIT -- Jonathan Young, Landon Kadatz, Brent Struble.

Goal -- SAIT: Mike Tadjdeh (33-28); U of L: Damien Ketlo (31-28).

SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 2
CALGARY DINOS 4

Links:
|> [U of C Schedule/Results]
|> [U of C Game Story v Mount Royal]

This turned out to be the consolation game in The Brick Invitational, played on neutral ice in Edmontown. As I post I do not have any source of information which gives more than the score.

MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS 4
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 5

(in overtime)

Links:
|> [LS Summary] : [Alberta Site]
|> [U of A Game Story - Friday]

You might want to check the U of A site for a tournament wrap-up story. None has been uploaded as I post. The Evil Monkeys have won their own tournament. Oddly, this gives them 4 straight one-goal wins against CW teams in the pre-season. Are they using up their good fortune in pre-season games in advance of their season debut against the Bisons next Friday and Saturday? Let's hope so!

Her Majesty's Kittens held a 3-2 lead after the 1st period. However, thereafter the Monkeys dominated the stats. They outshot their new provincial rivals by 35-9 over the final two periods but all they could do was force overtime.

The result gives Alberta 4 points and Mount Royal 3 points in the tournament standings. Calgary had 2 and Saskatchewan 1 to finish the field.

UBC THUNDERBIRDS 8
SIMON FRASER CLAN 0

Links:
|> [SFU Site]
|> [UBC Game Story - Friday]

There is no source for game stats as I post, but I did listen to much of this on-line through the SFU Site link. After SFU was able to hang in game one despite being outshot, once they got behind by a couple it seemed to be a case where the floodgates opened. Frankly, UBC should be able to crush SFU by this type of margin. You can check the links for any new game stories which are bound to be uploaded.

OUT EAST:

Saint Mary’s 2 St. Francis Xavier 1 : [Game Summary]
Carleton 6 Acadia 5 (ot) : [Game Summary]
UQTR 4 UPEI 1 : [UPEI Mini-Summary]
Concordia 5 Waterloo 6 : [Waterloo Schedule/Results]
McGill 6 Western Ontario 2 : [LS Summary] : [UWO Game Story]
Guelph vs Wilfrid Laurier - no results available
Royal Military College 1 York 5 : [York Twitter]
Windsor 6 UOIT 1 : [Windsor Twitter]
Ottawa 2 Lakehead 6 : [LU Game Story]

UP NEXT:

Sept. 23
x St. Francis-Xavier at Acadia
x Carleton v Saint Mary's
x UQTR at New Brunswick

Sept. 27
x Moncton at St. Francis Xavier
x Wilfrid Laurier at Windsor
Calgary at Lethbridge

Sept. 28
x Queen’s at Acadia
x UQTR vs Saint Mary’s
x St. Francis Xavier vs UPEI
x New Brunswick at McGill
x York Invitational Tournament
Semi-Final #1: Ryerson at York
Semi-Final #2: UOIT vs Toronto
x Brock at Lakehead
UBC at Regina
Manitoba at Alberta
Lethbridge at Calgary
Saskatchewan at Mount Royal

Last edited by Hollywood3: 09-23-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote