Thread: Confirmed Signing with Link: Andrei Kostitsyn signs with Traktor Chelyabinsk (KHL)
View Single Post
Old
09-23-2012, 10:10 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
You missed the point of me posting ice time. I was responding to you calling Kostitsyn a player that "coach doesn't deserve" by showing who coaches have actually trusted.

I listed total TOI, including PK. I don't think the fact that a good portion of Prust's effectiveness is on the PK helps the Habs much (at least not 2.5mil much!) - we already have Plekanec, Gionta, Desharnais, Eller, Moen, White, Nokelainen and Gomez killing penalties.

Bourque is injured until December. Even when healthy, he's not as effective a player as AK. The team still needs a winger to play with Plekanec and Gionta. Prust and Moen can't fill that role (yes, roles go beyond determination and penalty killing) as well as Kostitsyn can.
Let me ask you something... is it remotely possible that instead of the "trusted" theory, that it could be because the Habs under the last few coaches were "offensively challenged", trailing from behind more often than not? Would he or a more reliable defensively player would have been used had the Habs played with the lead?

You thinking that AK is superior to Bourque is definitely up for debate as that's your opinion, which by the way I respect. Having said that, no need to say that I disagree. I put them on an even level. Both are somewhat physical and can put some decent numbers offensively. But both are terribly inconsistent with a reputation of lacking motivation, being hard to coach because they are high maintenance (constant motivation issues). When Bourque was signed, many including myself saw the writing on the wall for AK, as he had been replaced. The Habs threw the towell, deciding to go a different way. Whether Bourque is out until December would be relevant if his contract was up at the end of the season, but he still has a couple of years left.

As for Prust, in order to appreciate what he brings to the table, you'd have to first recognize that the Habs needed more toughness in their line-up, which you don't seem to do. Habs' fans were crying not wanting a "goon" on the team, most saying that they'd take a guy who can play hockey. Guess what? They got the best guy available! What else do you want? A 30 goals scorer who scraps? Hard to find and mostly, not available.

So yes, for the same dollars, Prust was the right decision, no ifs or buts about it.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote