View Single Post
Old
09-23-2012, 11:32 AM
NYR89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power2ThePenguins View Post
I figured since someone bumped the thread, I'd update on what's been going with me.

I never heard anything back from the ECHL team I interviewed with. But since it ended up being an unpaid position and I'd have to move, I wouldn't have been able to go anyway.

I'm still looking for internships, but since I'm late for hockey and most of those don't pay, I've been looking into minor league baseball teams which seem to offer stipends in various ranges. It's not hockey, but I've always thought minor league baseball was a fun environment, and I really admire how hard those staffs work. I didn't really want to intern, but unfortunately, the lack of response to my resume for jobs has forced me to rethink my priorities.

That said, I'm 27, so the idea of interning now is a little scary and WTF-esque, but people older than me have done internships in various fields, so I figured I should at least try.
Plenty of people start in minor league baseball. You get plenty of responsibility because the front office isn't very big. That being said it's tons of hours because of the schedules and the lack of employees.

Minor league baseball is a great place to start. You'd get to try just about everything and find what you really enjoy doing. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Where do you think that accountancy could fit into hockey jobs? I was think that maybe teams could need them but do they hire accountants to stay on top of their financial information and would me doing my courses in the UK, where I live affect any change of a job in America If I were to go down that path or if I don't decided to just stick to accountancy in the UK.
Teams have positions for accountants. Accounts receivable/payable for example. Teams may be reluctant to give you a chance because of the complications of a visa/work permit (I'm not familiar with this at all, but I'm sure there's something there). They may also shy away becaue of the cost of relocation. More than likely teams won't help pay to relocate because there are plenty of people who want that same job that have it easier. If/when you apply stress the fact that you've done your research and are prepared to relocate. Make them feel like they don't need to do any of the work.

NYR89 is offline   Reply With Quote