View Single Post
Old
09-23-2012, 08:23 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueGrit View Post
That's right. Kariya turned down $10 million I believe for $2 million. Kariya and Selanne went on to have their most disappointing seasons of their career to which some have called it bad karma for trying to stack the deck.
And personally I'm glad it failed so badly. It's like some sort of borderline cheating and/or poor sportsmanship. If this were to happen it would obviously be on one of the contenders, who already have a big enough advantage over that you'd have to wonder why they'd need such a huge freebie?

It's one thing if a star player leaves a million on the table to resign with his team, that lets them sign a slightly better depth player. It would be another altogether if someone like Getzlaf and Perry decided they really want to win a Cup next year, so sign for a million each with a team like Pittsburgh.

In my opinion any Stanley Cup win under this situation would be extremely tainted. It should also be noted that in the Kariya/Colorado situation, part of the reason Kariya accepted so little was so that the Avs could pay Selanne even more. Since Kariya was just coming off a multi-year $10m salary, while Selanne hadn't faired quite so well. Colorado got a discount for sure, but you gotta look at by what they paid for the pair, not just Kariya by himself.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote