Old
09-24-2012, 02:21 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
Nope. Toews is a top 5 center. Getzlaf is a top 10 when he is on his game.
...what? Getzlaf, at his best, is one of the best players in the NHL. Anyone who saw the 2009 playoffs can attest to that. Personally, I don't think Toews, at his best, has shown he can match Getzlaf at his. Getzlaf is the better player offensively, while Toews is better defensively. Toews has a better work ethic(and I'll readily admit I dislike that about Getzlaf), but it still hasn't stopped Getzlaf from out producing him on a regular basis. That, in itself, is a pretty strong statement regarding Getzlaf's offensive talent. Where Getzlaf really takes it is in his ability to manhandle the opposition physical.

Also, for all the talk about how Toews was so great in the Olympics, he only had one point more than Getzlaf... who, admittedly, didn't have the best tournament himself.
Using such a short tournament as an argument for one player vs. another is pretty weak. Hell, the two players have only played in one other international tournament, which was the 2008 World Championship. In that tournament, Getzlaf was easily the better player of the two, and by a pretty significant margin. One tournament doesn't mean a whole lot on its own.

Right now Getzlaf is being hit pretty hard by "what have you done for me lately" syndrome. One bad season has become a few years of underperforming, and an underrating of past performances. There are only a handful of players who have been as consistent as he has offensively, and it's up to Getzlaf to show this last season was an anomaly, and not a sign of things to come. I have great respect for Toews, but really, I'm not sure I've ever seen a case where a player has been put on such a high pedestal without being able to produce at a point per game pace. I'd certainly expect a top 5 center to be able to give you that. Frankly, I doubt we'd see so many arguments talking about Toews' "intangibles" if he had better numbers to support the claims of him being a top center.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote