View Single Post
Old
09-24-2012, 07:55 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquiring Minds View Post
I think the thing that pi**es me off more than anything is the feeling of being completely impotent in this situation. The players are holding their line, and are probably the greatest athletes in any sport for making themselves available to the regular fan. But they can go play in Europe/Russia and still make good coin.

As has been observed, the owners aren't terribly concerned because the die-hard fans have shown that they will return with no hard feelings whenever the millionaires and the billionaires get around to agreeing on how to divide up our money.

Not that I am bitter or anything, but I was racking my brain last week, trying to figure out a way to send them a message. So here is my idea.

For each cancelled game, I am going to send CBJ an email, telling them exactly what I did that night, instead of coming to NWA and cheering my team. I'll also drop exactly how much that activity cost me, and how much of my money they would have gotten if I had gone to the game. I may also say how much fun I had, and other benefits I am deriving away from the rink (building relationships, starting a new hobby, meeting new friends, recovering from addiction to $9 beer, enjoying steak dinners for the price I would have paid for hotdogs, etc.)

The purpose? Maybe no one will notice, but if enough people do it, they will get the idea that they can't take fans for granted.

Especially fans that have suffered through 10 years of the absolute worst hockey in the league.

And we may find a better return for our entertainment dollars.
Ah yes, the Shawshank Redemption method of contacting them until you get the response you want. What, per se, is the response that you're looking for? The problem is, they know exactly what is at stake, and exactly who they are alienating. Did it effect the league last time around? No ... the league brought in more money this year than it ever had, as did the teams, and the average player salary went up.

So, who then do we have to blame other than ourselves? This is why I think the best method of dealing with the situation is to sit quietly and deal with it. Then, when the league starts up - be it 20 games late, a whole season missed, etc .... those of us die hard fans who dealt with the last lockout and came back to support them give them the silent treatment for exactly twice as long. If it's 20 games, don't go to 20 more. If it's 82 games, cancel your package for next year and don't buy any merchandise. Hitting them in the wallet is where it's going to hurt. Otherwise, we're all just complainers who want our hockey back, and they know we'll be back in the end.

Trust me, you won't get the answer you're looking for. They simply don't care about our interests.