Old
09-24-2012, 08:02 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
But who do we need right away?
I'm projecting the next few years; not just right now. If Dumba and Brodin both make it within the next two years, we have a noticeable gap (unless we go defense again, which there is a strong possibility we might not) between those two and the rest of the guys. I'm not huge on Scandella and Spurgeron already has concussion problems.

Quote:
We have Suter and Gilbert now.
Gilbert is one year left on his contract? and while we would want him to come back, do we really need another Zidlicky situation? Not saying his attitude but big contract for a guy that doesn't really produce?

Quote:
We have Spurgeon (who is a #4 guy).
I don't see Spurgeron maintaining that high level of play for his career. He could be a good depth guy.

Quote:
As I had commented before, if we had better NHL defensive depth, no one would say a peep about our "weak" prospect pool on the defensive end. Honestly, how many teams can you actually say you'd swap defensive prospects with?
Los Angeles, Toronto, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Anaheim...those are off the top of my head.

The problem is the gaps. We saw it this year. We'll see it coming up.

Quote:
The age Of the player, not whether he's labeled a prospect, rookie or young player, is what maters. When you look at Dmen under 25, we are in great shape.
We're not in 'great' shape. I'm still wary of Scandella and Spurgeron. Brodin and Dumba are rock solid. But outside of that? If Scandella goes down for a long stretch? If Gilbert and Suter go down?

Thrower would have made more sense for this team. It wouldn't have hurt to add more balance to the team. Brodin + Dumba -> Huge drop off on ready made defensemen. Granlund + Coyle -> Not as huge drop off for ready made forwards.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote