View Single Post
Old
05-08-2006, 09:46 AM
Matrix

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
Well, I keep wanting to be won over by all the arguments for drafting Price. "In theory" there certainly are some points to be made there, and it helps that he seems to be a smart and personable kid, that he has the puckhandling element to his game, and of course that we've moved Theodore away now.

But at the end of the day, it just seems like every time I see him play, he doesn't really stand out. Starting with the WU-18 before the draft and then to this year's WJC camp, I just haven't found that his actual play quite lives up to my hopes. Whereas, for example, I've seen some things from Rask and Pavelec that were pretty impressive.

Of course, sometimes I watch Martin Brodeur for a few games and he looks pretty unimpressive too, just kind of stands in there solidly, gets beat sometimes, but generally does his job, and doesn't always look flashy even when he's playing incredibly. Sometimes. I keep hoping that the somewhat Brodeur-looking Price is that way too, and I'm just not seeing his more impressive moments, while the overall consistency just keeps trucking along.

Anyway, as others have said, it will be a long time before we know if we used that big pick wisely or not. I don't fear that Price will be a bust or anything. I just worry that you could get an equivalent goalie later in the first (Rask), in the second (Pavelec), or even later if the horsehoes fall your way.

Sooo... I haven't changed my mind yet... I still would have used the pick on a different player. But I seem to recall being wrong once or twice before.
Exactly how I see it. Would that pick became Brule or would we have picked players like Skille, Bourdon, Kopitar or Staal. The feeling that I got was that we were so not used of picking around that rank, that they really went with the guy with the most potential with Brule's size enough to think he would not be as successful.

But do you guys have any idea if Timmins didn't really like Brule or is it that he liked Price more???