View Single Post
Old
09-25-2012, 03:01 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
I was listening to either Toronto or Montreal sports talk on I<3Radio at work last week.

They had James Duthie on and he shared a quick little nothing story that doesn't seem like much on it's face, but in my eyes was incredibly damning.

Basically, he said he was at this huge sports luncheon a couple of years back and he just happened to be sitting next to Donald Fehr. I guess Duthie being the hockey guy he is decided to ask then baseball man Fehr if there was any truth to whispers that he might be up to for the NHLPA job. Apparently Fehr laughed in his face and asked why in the Hell would anybody retire from the MLBPA gig just to head up a an outfit like the NHLPA. The mere notion was comically absurd.

So, why would a man of his age and accomplishment do a 180 turn and become head of the NHLPA? He doesn't care about hockey or hockey players in my opinion. I think this is a pride thing. He just wants to go out with a bang. He has a chance to go up against the only hard cap in sports. His nemesis. I think he wants only to push this thing so far to the brink that he can soften that cap and ride off into the sunset. The problem? That cap will never soften. Never. Will he take the whole thing over the edge of the cliff just because he can? Does he care if he destroys a league with a hard cap? Would he take pride in doing so?

I am paranoid, i know. But that little anecdote really sat poorly in my stomach. I haven't been able to shake the feeling of doom since i heard it.

Last edited by rt: 09-25-2012 at 03:12 PM.
rt is online now   Reply With Quote