View Single Post
Old
09-25-2012, 06:46 PM
VinnyC
trust in linden CREW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
FIFA is just a better sports game. But idiots like me will spend money on the NHL franchise because I'm a sucker. They shouldn't be releasing a game every year. A year isn't enough time to develop a game which is why every game looks the same every year and the new stuff they add is always broken.
It actually is considering the game hardly changes from a year to the other.

It's a matter of taking the good of previous years and building on it. I mean, just look at what modders have done with NHL 2004.

The crux of the issue is that since EA always had fickle (2K) to no competition in the ice hockey realm they never have quite the incentive to blow minds year after year - if anything, the franchise seemed to have regressed at points, perhaps intentionally. Hold back new features from being released so that you can add them for later releases, casually remove old features and re-introduced them later...

Seriously, I still can't believe you could only look at a player's last four statistical seasons in NHL 12, with EA citing it as a move to improve performance. What the hell? Even when I played the half-assed NHL 09 PC port I could at least check out a player's performance over the course of his whole career.

FIFA keeps improving because they always have some competition from PES and other fringe developers so they need to keep themselves ahead of the curve. Recent NBA 2K games have been amazing because they know the game needs to be great in order to beat out EA (who are likely looking at every chance to re-take the basketball gaming market).