View Single Post
Old
09-25-2012, 07:43 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
No offense guys, but if Seattle lands the Oilers then they've completely lost any and all rights to complain about the way they lost the SuperSonics. This is pretty much Sonics on ice right now if it goes through....

Hope Seattle gets a team sooner rather than later, but if at all possible I would prefer it be through expansion than relocation, and definitely wouldn't want to see a team with an actual, legitimate fanbase with a storied history lose their team over arena grumbling, and this is coming from a guy that loves tearing into the Oilers as much as the next guy.
I completely agree with this sentiment, but at the same time I can understand why taxpayers are tired of funding revenue generating buildings for professional sports teams.

If it is such a great investment it should be easy for the Oilers' owners to get the investors and capital to fund the building of a new arena. The truth is taxpayers almost never get a return on investment from publicly financed sports arenas.

I really don't know what kind of financing the new arena in Seattle is going to use for its construction, but I hope the taxpayers aren't footing the bill.