Thread: Prospect Info: Senators Prospects 2012-2013 Season
View Single Post
Old
09-26-2012, 07:49 AM
Minister of Offence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblad the Impaler View Post
You guys think it's a plus for his development and common enough in the league.

I agree on both points but I don't think the development argument is strong enough to merit demanding a trade and would have preferred to see him stay on the petes. It was a decision that put his own development above his team's chances. Regardless of how common it is, I just don't like that out of principle. (Strangely enough, I have no problem with players switching leagues for development reasons, but I take issue with jumping teams within one league. Perhaps it's because I think the league would fall apart if every player did what was best for their development and decided they were only willing to play for one or two best teams).

Anyways, I don't think we're going to agree on this one boys. Maybe we should just leave it at that?
There's a lot of players in the OHL who's development is best served playing for their own team. If everyone started jumping ship, there'd be no league. I suggested the Sens may have encouraged this, and KingCity also suggested this (and he might even be in the know).

You don't think it could be big for Puempel's development? He was the CHL rookie of the year at 16 and the first 16 year old to score 30 for Peterborough since Yzerman. Since then, he slipped in the draft and became the guy everyone here throws into trades because he hasn't lived up.

If he scores around 50 goals, plays deep into the playoffs and perhaps further. Impresses Spott enough to make the WJC...you're damn right the "development excuse" was worth it. Because he wasn't getting that in Peterborough. And those experiences and that confidence he gains from these things is unquantifiable, but it can make all the difference.