View Single Post
Old
09-26-2012, 11:25 AM
Yakushev72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMBM View Post
I'm not disagreeing; did my previous post give that impression? At least my meaning was to show the superiority of the 1979 (and 1981-82) Team USSR, when compared to the team(s) around 1987, especially depth-wise.

Yes, they played awesome hockey in games 2 and 3 of the Challenge Cup. In the last game, the Soviets not only scored all the goals but they also had the best scoring chances; great offense AND defense in that game. However, they might have been even stronger in the 1979 World Championships; beating Czechoslovakia by scores of 11-1 and 6-1 was really unheard-of.
I'm sorry if I made it sound as if I was disagreeing with your points. In fact, I completely agree with what you said. The 1978-79 National Team gets my vote also for being the best Soviet/Russian hockey team of all-time, and their performance in the Challenge Cup makes a statement to that effect. The only difference between the '79 and '81 teams, IMO, was that goaltending seemed to be the difference in '81, whereas in '79, the Soviet skaters were definitely the dominant factor in determining the outcome. Not much difference between the two though. It should be noted that 1981 was the last year that a European referee from a neutral country refereed a medal round game in the Canada/World Cup. After that, it was all Canadians and Americans.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote