View Single Post
Old
05-08-2006, 03:03 PM
Archijerej

vCash: 500
First, do we really need a BIG centerman or a centerman that will:

1) help to carry the offense when Koivu is facing Brind'amour like checker
2) not be overmached physically on our zone and be able to succesfully defend against big centers
3) play smart, hard-working, speedy game that Carbo and Gainey like

I think Plekanec fits the bill in #2 (his work against Staal) and #3. The question is is his offensive game enough to be our second centerman? We don't know that yet but it's worth a try. My proposal: Keep him on a line with a scorer (Perezhogin), give them some power play time and at the same time sign Ribeiro for one year as an insurance or trade for Lang. Both of this are short term options to give Plekanec time and see what he can do. If he fails, we can sign UFA next season. I'm against signing Arnott or Savard and feel we would have ended with an overpaid dissapointment if we did (especially Arnott)

As for wingers I would stay away from Carter. I've seen Canucks many times this year and all creativity on his line came from the Sedins. He's also not especially agressive or physicall player. Langenbrunner, Belanger and maybe top six LW to play on Kovalev's line are all good ideas

On defense I'd consider Kubina and Jonsson before Jovanovski. They are better players IMO. I don't think that having Komisarek, Souray and Rivet we need more defensive physicall guys like McKee on the blueline