View Single Post
Old
05-08-2006, 03:04 PM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe
Ah! the always reliable quick-fix. Sign UFAs, trade the kids. Not to mention our strenght at the moment is in young forwards.
That's the kind of thinking that had us watching poker and curling for a year. When I saw realistic in the title I knew it was almost too good to be true.

Besides, shouldn't a franchise player "grow up" in the franchise? I see Marleau as the franchise player (and captain) of SJ imo. Maybe my definition of franchise player is off.
This is why I think we need a two-way defenseman. Our strength is young, skilled forwards. We need somebody to get them the puck and to add more options in the offensive end to free them up.

Also, the powerplay is paramount and another pointman would be ideal. I like Markov and Souray, but after that it's kinda hairy with Rivet or Bouillon at the point.

We aren't going to be a contender until the young forwards mature anyway, so signing a forward who is supposed to be a goalscorer (and thus putting a ton of pressure on him ... signing a goalscorer to play in MONTREAL??? gimme a break) doesn't make sense to me. Signing a guy whose job it is to play D might meet with better results.

I don't see any viable big centermen on the market either. I don't like Arnott myself. He had a career year and is a reknowned floater. Once he gets his money, he'll go on permanent vacation to Bora Bora with Bonk.

To me it has to be a two-way defenseman and then cut Boullion loose if he doesn't sign cheap.

And of course, sign Huet.

I would trade for that big centerman if possible. And we have a lot of bait now.

When Rivet and Souray's contracts run up after next season, we'll be able to use that money to sign ANOTHER solid two-way defenseman (and resign Markov) and then our top 4 will consist of four dependable puck-movers and our forwards will be mature=CONTENDER.