View Single Post
09-27-2012, 12:00 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by wKetch22 View Post
I didnt say Gardiner had a small ceiling, I just think Riellys is higher (yet he is still incredibly overrated) but Gardiner has already succeeded at the NHL level
Rielly is not overrated. He's seen as a future top pairing, point producing defenseman, which is on track with scouts predictions of his potential (ie. pre-draft rankings comparing him to Duncan Keith and Erik Karlsson). I don't think he's done anything since the draft to not justify those comparisons or being the 5th overall pick, especially with his play with Team Canada and Moose Jaw. Just because he's talked about more than Ryan Murray and Griffin Reinhart doesn't mean he's overrated. He was drafted to a team with more fans than both of the other two combined, which gives the perspective that he's overrated when really people would be saying the same things that they are now, there would just be less people saying them.

I agree. Rielly is definitely the one with the higher ceiling. Ideally, in a couple of years Phaneuf and Rielly will be our top pairing and Gardiner will be on the second. We're really going to need a solid #4 to play with Gardiner though. Hopefully Holzer becomes that guy.