View Single Post
Old
09-27-2012, 12:42 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMan View Post
I don't want to be in a situation where I have to hate the kid, so I'm not getting goated into that argument. He can play on my team any day of the week. I'm just comparing style. I'm not comparing ceiling. Lazar obviously has another gear in his step and the offense will come this year. The thing that will make Lazar noticed more than anything will be how he is used in situational hockey, anywhere, anytime. Those have been calling cards for Stoll and Fisher and it will be a calling card for Lazar too. Even if the offense doesn't come around at the pro level, he will still have that aspect to rely on. That's where the comparisons end, nothing more, nothing less.

We can't forget that he is coming off a 20 goal, 31 point season, while Hunter Shinkaruk put up 49Gs. He did have 19 points in 20 games in the playoffs, so his game took it up notch. Forgive me if I want to see his offensive flourish a bit more before I start calling him elite. For the record I have Shinkaruk slightly ahead of Lazar but its only by one spot, both in the top 10.
Goated into an argument?

Lazar wasnt used in a top offensive role last year until near the end of the year. He was in and out of the top six and lots of time got little or no pp time. Consider that with the fact he was 16 and hadnt developed his skills to the point where they are now and ya, he didnt put up great stats during the regular season.

But the playoffs were his coming out party and so far this year he looks very dangerous. His skating is top notch. Speed, acceleration, agility. He can do it all. His shot is hard and accurate. More than that it is his quick release that is his bread and butter. Couple that with his size, grit, toughness, fearlessness and he is a complete player.

One that I believe may score fifty goals in his draft year. On that team, it is possible. If Gernat were in the lineup, it would be even more likely to happen.

Fifty goals, or even forty in his draft year, along with all of his other skills/intangibles, makes him elite in my books. Certainly comparing him to other players his age. He is top ten in the world. That is elite.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote