View Single Post
Old
09-27-2012, 09:40 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
If Bettman cancels the season, then I would not be surprised. Not that it matters, but by and large, the public and the reporters seem to be either on the player's side or at least not at all sympathetic to the owners. Plus, I think that people truly underrate Fehr. There is a reason that he exists and that the NHLPA has hired him. Similarly, to the way that the owners trusted Bettman when he told them that the best way to get what they want is to cancel an entire season.

Off course if that does happen, any good publicity that the NHL has actually managed to get right, such as through the HBO 24/7 series, will probably be gone forever.
Thats true, but also misguided in my opinion. I feel like the public sides with the players in most sports labor disputes because they feel a certain bond. An imaginary bond, in my opinion - and, if it exists at all, it certainly disappears during fiscal disputes.

Anyway, besides a ludicrous first offer, I think Bettman and the owners have been handling the negotiations much better than Fehr and company, who havent moved the needle much at all lately.