View Single Post
Old
09-27-2012, 12:10 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by RammsteinGT View Post
I'm looking at a re-tool, because a re-tool is what will happen. Full-on tank mode won't sit well with ownership, and Jumbo is their golden boy. While I partially agree with you that a re-build is the better way to go, I'm simply playing to what I believe the reality of the situation is.

As it stands now, I don't think a division title is likely (let alone a Cup) which is why I'd like to dump some of our aging assets (Boyle & Marleau) for young help at forward. Personally, I think Boyle is excellent even at his age, but the return he'd garner is necessary, the cap savings are ideal and I think we have a decent blue-line even without him due to depth. As for Marleau, while I see his value, it's my opinion that you just don't build a winner with him. Thornton, sure. But Patty just doesn't have the passion or leadership that I want to see on my top lines.

I've needed a good Sharks chat for a while...
Why chain Thornton to a team that's not going to win? If you deal Boyle and Marleau, who's to say that Thornton doesn't demand out? He loves the Sharks (or so I gather), but he also really wants to win a Cup, and it doesn't seem fair to keep him hear on a re-tooling team. Realistically, we probably aren't going to get a return for Marleau and Boyle that will be able to contribute while Thornton is still in his prime. I want Joe to win a Cup somewhere, even if it's not here.

Does ownership want to see us become Calgary? A team who is constantly middling, the perpetual 9th seed, never making the playoffs, never getting a top-10 pick, handing out $5.5M contracts to Denis Wideman, drafting the likes of Mark Jankowski? Because that's what's going to happen if we don't eventually rebuild. Trading Thornton and co. for picks and prospects means that we'd have a much shorter rebuild time than if we let JT/PM/DB just trail off. And we might finally be able to get elite talent through the draft.

You build a winner by drafting top-10 picks. Toews/Kane, Crosby/Malkin, Kopitar/Doughty, Getzlaf/Perry (the entire 2003 first round was top-10 caliber), etc. This team is not a Cup-caliber team, and won't be with Couture or a 40-year-old Thornton as our best player, plain and simple.

Just my two cents. I two need Sharks talk, I'm bored out of my mind.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote