View Single Post
Old
09-27-2012, 12:29 PM
RammsteinGT
Prairie Shark

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Why chain Thornton to a team that's not going to win? If you deal Boyle and Marleau, who's to say that Thornton doesn't demand out? He loves the Sharks (or so I gather), but he also really wants to win a Cup, and it doesn't seem fair to keep him hear on a re-tooling team.

You build a winner by drafting top-10 picks. Toews/Kane, Crosby/Malkin, Kopitar/Doughty, Getzlaf/Perry (the entire 2003 first round was top-10 caliber), etc. This team is not a Cup-caliber team, and won't be with Couture or a 40-year-old Thornton as our best player, plain and simple.

Just my two cents. I two need Sharks talk, I'm bored out of my mind.
I just don't see Thornton wanting out unless we're absolutely in the dumpster for a couple seasons. Even if Patty & Boyle were dealt, I bet he'd give it a shot to see what happens in the short term.

Heck, who knows? Maybe we even re-tool on the fly like Ottawa has done and Joe plays out his career like Alfie. They've got a promising team that (aside from 2011) hasn't drafted a whole lot in the first few picks. All it takes is one steal in a draft where we typically pick (15-25) like a Karlsson or Giroux and this discussion takes a dramatic shift for the better. Couture was an excellent pick and perhaps Hertl will be just as good.

Basically, DW is going to have to earn his pay in the next 3 years. By 2015, I wager we will barely recognize our team.

Oh, and another thought: the hiring of Larry Robinson could be a god-send. He was (in my opinion) one of the most important moves this franchise has made since we won the President's trophy. That said, this is all speculation, but I think the tandem of he and McLellan running the show could be incredible.

RammsteinGT is offline   Reply With Quote